Wednesday, November 16, 2011

First Post- Spiced Sugar Cookies

Since this is my first post i thought maybe i should introduce myself. My name is Nikki, I'm 26, I live in Brooklyn, Proud mom, and i have a passion for cooking, baking, and trying new things. I have stacks of recipe books, binders of my own recipes and binders magazine recipes as well. Many people have told me i should share my recipes, and one suggested i should blog, so here i am!

Tonight i made simple tacos, but my spiced sugar cookies were the proud moment of my day. I personally love ginger snaps, ginger bread cookies, and other fall flavored crunchy or spicy cookies. I looked through my recipe book and found one for sugar cookies. Its a simple recipe and they are comfort food like no other. With the addition of just a few spices you can have an amazing spicy fall sugar cookie!

Things you will need-
Spiced Sugar Cookies
1 EGG at room temprutature
1 stick of BUTTER room temperature (i use the salted kind)
1/2 cup of SUGAR
1 teaspoon VANILLA EXTRACT
1/2 teaspoon of SALT (you can use a little less if you are using salted butter)
1 1/2 cups of FLOUR
1/2 teaspoon ground CINNAMON
1/2 teaspoon NUTMEG
1/2 teaspoon ground GINGER
1 COOKIE SHEET
1 ROLL OF WAX PAPER
1 BOTTLE OF DECORATING SUGAR (optional, confectionery sugar is ok too)
1 ELECTRIC MIXER


Set your oven to 350, and have your cookie sheet lined with the wax paper.
In a mixing bowl add your soft butter and sugar. Use your electric mixer to mix it up and make it whipped looking. Crack the egg in and add your vanilla and salt. (Love the smell of the vanilla whipping!) Whip this all together.
Stop mixing. In another bowl mix together your flour, and your spices (cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger). Add this mixture to the wet ingredients and kneed by hand. Use the dough to form balls (about half and inch) to put on the cookie sheet.
There are three ways to decorate your cookies!
1- Put your decorating sugar on a piece of wax paper and dip your cookie ball tops in it until the whole front is covered then press down to make just a little flattened.
2- Once all the balls are on your cookie sheet flatten with your thumb gently half way and add sprinkles to your thumb print for a center of color.
3- when they are done sprinkle with confectionery sugar!

So now you have your half way flattened balls (decorated or not) on your cookie sheet. Put in the oven for 15 - 20 mins (keep an eye on them)
Once out, wait about 10 mins to transfer them to your plate!

These are how mine came out! I used Yellow and red sprinkles to give the changing of leaves color effect, some are thumb print sprinkles and some are pressed on sprinkles! =]





Tomorrow I am making Chilli-Chicken Kabobs. =] Recipe will be posted tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. They look amazing and I bet they taste even better. I'll have to try making them one of these days. :)

    ReplyDelete