Friday, November 18, 2011

Cream of Mushroom soup - my kitchen angel

One item I lways have in my cupboard or freezer is cream of mushroom soup. It has so many uses and enables me to make the quickest of meals using it, especialy when it is made ahead. It has saved me from the "I have nothing to make!!" deliema so many times. Of course you can always use a store bought brand but trust me you will save money by making it youself. As I post the recpies that I use cream of mushroom soup for I will add the links hre. While I planned to just give advice today, I felt a recipe couldn't hurt.

Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 WHITE ONION
4 tablespoons BUTTER
2 package of WHITE MUSHROOMS
12 tablespoons SELF RISING FLOUR
4 regular sized cans of CHICKEN BROTH
2 cup HALF AND HALF CREAM
1 teaspoon SALT
1/4 teaspoon PEPPER
1 LARGE FRYING PAN
1 LARGE POT

Now this may seem like a lot of ingredients but trust me it will yeild a lot of soup for you to make many meals with. If you just want the soup itself cut everything in half.

First things first chop up your white union into small peices. I suggest you cut the root ends off, pell the outside off, and then cut in half. It maes dicing easier. Also at this point clean your mushrooms and cut them up into little cubes you can include the stem, some people discard them but they are just as tasty as the cap.

Cook the onion in butter untill it is see through and soft. At this point add your mushrooms and cook until they are soft and grey. Transfer this to your pot and add your flour, broth, cream, salt and pepper. Simmer and keep stirring. Cream has a habbit of burning on the bottom of the pan so keep an eye on it. After its done and all the flavours have combine transfer to tupper wears and place in the fridge after cooled transfer to freezer.

When you want to use it take it out the night before.
I love using this soup to simmer chicken with mushrooms, or chicken with broccoli and sprinkeling mild chedder cheese over it. It is also perfect for chicken mushroom spinach florentine caserol which I will post the recipe for at a later date. Its great meal maker and saves the salt and preservatives of the canned version =]

Tommorrow I will be sharing a recipe for butter jam cookies =]

No comments:

Post a Comment